The ESRDC has performed successfully as a consortium. Each institution has brought unique capabilities and are working at the leading edge of these important emerging technologies:
- Warships will be all electric, posing unprecedented levels of system complexity and operational diversity
- The electric power will be available for propulsion as well as for pulsed power weapons, sensors, and all other required loads
- The Office of Naval Research S&T program is developing technology for advanced electric ship power generation, conversion, and propulsion systems that enable large reductions in volume and weight.
- Naval facilities and staff members are playing key roles by evaluating emerging technologies to influence the technology early enough in the development cycle to minimize implementation and ownership costs for the Navy.
- Universities are assessing longer-term options and producing students who understand electric ship technology and can be future leaders in the companies and Naval laboratories.